Saturday, September 8, 2007

Bangkok, Day Three: There's A Choice We're Making


The Karaoke World Championships just ended about an hour or so ago here in Bangkok. The first-place winners: Lu Hee Wah, a jewelry-industry marketing and sales rep originally from Malaysia (though he's lived in Thailand for the past nine years); and Julie Walter-Sgro, a coffee-company operations manager from Australia. The U.S. took second place in themale division, thanks to Michael Moses Griffin. The whole shebang ended with a sing-along of (what else?) "We Are The World," which got the crowd going:



One unfortunate bit of news from the evening: I paid 10 Baht to try out one of the private karaoke booths, only to have my song of choice get stuck in a loop, meaning that I heard "If you leave me now..." repeated a half-dozen times before I just gave up. Now I know what Mrs. Cetera feels like.



On a final, unrelated note, I saw someone selling squirrels today—squirrels wearing miniature wool caps. More info tomorrow.

No comments: