Thursday, May 3, 2007

L.A. Story


In addition to a visit to Dimples, my two-week trip to Los Angeles yielded several moments of karaoke craziness, including a Tuesday-night trip to Guy's (where celebs once frolicked, but now frolic no more); a rendition of Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" at Brass Monkey that resulted in a free piece of birthday cake; and a quick stop at an unnamed Koreatown joint, which was just terrible. Thankfully my friend Katy (above) was along for the latter, so at least I suffered bad service in good company.

After that, I headed off to Honolulu, where McKinley High School was holding its 6th Annual Alumni Karaoke Challenge, during which more than thirty graduates of McKinley (and several surrounding schools) performed for nearly three hours. It was a very ambitious production; I can't recall ever seeing a karaoke performance that involved both a small dog and an Abraham Lincoln impersonator. The front row of the auditorium was lined with "karaoke senseis," who had trained many of the singers. The only singing I got to do was as part of the audience (the show closed with the school's fight song), and I never got to try my "Mahalo Back!" joke, but it was a good time nonetheless.

No comments: