Sunday, April 8, 2007

Let's Just Keep, Keep Singing



Lord help the poor soul who enters the search term "karaoke" into YouTube, for he/she is doomed to spend hours upon hours plowing through such shakily shot entries as "ME AND D DRUNK @ KARAOKE SINGING GNARLS!!" But those who dig deep enough will find some especially well-made karaoke videos, such as this entry for Bright Eyes' 2002 lament "Lover I Don't Have To Love." While many amateur k-clips simply take a photo of the artist and splash some words across the bottom, "Lover" is notable for its verisimilitude: The creator took great pains to re-create the look of Sound Choice's karaoke videos, even going so far as to insert the company's logo at the beginning; meanwhile, the random stock footage of mountain streams and beach-side strolls plays up the absurdity of such a dark song being turned into a group sing-along.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Nice video thanks for posting Brian and I know what you mean about karaoke on You Tube hehe. I was recently looking through the karaoke machines on singtotheworld.com and I might buy one as mine is getting a bit worse for wear. I really enjoy singing to my old favorites and me and the girls are always in pubs singing together.